- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˌbɪə(ɹ) əˈklɒk/, /ˌbɪə(ɹ) əʊˈklɒk/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˌbɪɹ əˈklɑk/, /ˌbɪɹ oʊˈklɑk/, /ˌbiə̯ɹ əˈklɑk/
Audio (AU) (file)
- (slang, humorous) The time of the first beer (or alcoholic beverage) of the day.
- 1999 February 22, Christopher Somerville, The Observer:
- Pack an esky with ice-cold bottles of Cooper's Green Label and head down to Holloways Beach, just north of Cairns, around beer o'clock on a Friday afternoon.
- 2006, Arthur J. Binks, “Santa Cruz”, in Wine, Women and Sailing, Cambridge: Vanguard Press, →ISBN, page 89:
- One big rule that we never ever break is to open a can of ale before beer o'clock. Luckily this can be anytime between 1000 and 1300 hours and woe-betide anyone on watch who forgets to waken the other at this crucial time of day.
- (slang, humorous) Time for a beer (the first of the day or otherwise).
- Questioner: What time is it? Answerer: It's beer o'clock.
time of the first beer (or alcoholic beverage) of the day