- beveridge (obsolete)
- (chiefly Canada, US) A liquid to consume; a drink, such as tea, coffee, liquor, beer, milk, juice, or soft drinks, usually excluding water.
- (Britain, slang, archaic) (A gift of) drink money.
More elevated than plainer drink. Beverage is of French origin, while drink is of Old English origin, and this stylistic difference by origin is common; see list of English words with dual French and Anglo-Saxon variations.
- See also Thesaurus:beverage
- Drink on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- beverage at OneLook Dictionary Search
- beverage in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.
beverage (plural beverages)
- An (alcoholic) beverage or beverages.
- Such a beverage used to close negotiations; said negotiations in themselves.
- Hardship, pain, torment; events that are hard to handle.
- “beverāǧe, n.”, in MED Online, Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 2007, retrieved 2018-10-08.
- Alternative form of