A small pile of berbere spice mixture.
From Amharic በርበሬ (bärbäre) and/or Tigrinya በርበረ (bärbärä).
- IPA(key): /bɛɚˈbɛɚ.ɹeɪ/, /bɛɚ.bɛɚ.ɹi/ or IPA(key): /bɝˈbɝ.ɹeɪ/, /bɝˈbɝ.ɹi/, /bɝˈbɝ.ɹə/
- A spice mixture, usually consisting of chili peppers, garlic, ginger, basil, and other spices, which is used in Ethiopian and Eritrean cuisine.
- ^ Matt Lee and Ted Lee, The Next Big Flavor, in The New York Times (2003 May 4)
- ^ Amanda Bevill, Julie Kramis Hearne, World Spice at Home: New Flavors for 75 Favorite Dishes (ISBN 1570619085, 2014)
berbere m f (plural berberes)
- Berber (member of northwest African ethnic group)
berbere m (uncountable)
- Berber (a group of closely related languages)