boondoggle (plural boondoggles)
- (especially Scouting) A braided ring to hold a neckerchief.
- Synonym: woggle
- (US, figuratively) A waste of time and/or money; a pointless activity.
- Coordinate term: white elephant
- Opponents consider this another billion-dollar government boondoggle.
- 2014 November 6, Rob Nixon, “Naomi Klein’s ‘This Changes Everything’”, in New York Times:
- Klein dismantles the boondoggle that is cap and trade.
woggle — see woggle
- (intransitive) To waste time on a pointless activity.