bubbe (plural bubbes)
1994, Steven C. Dubin, Arresting Images, page x:
- My bubbe's inability to write in English turned out to be a blessing: she pressed me into service as her scribe at an early age.
- 1996: Joan C. Hawxhurst, Bubbe & Gram: My Two Grandmothers, blurb
- A little girl describes the various things she does with her Jewish grandmother, Bubbe, and her Christian grandmother, Gram, and what she has learned about both.
1999, Linda Barnes, A Trouble of Fools, page 1:
- I never met my bubbe, my grandma, the source of all my mother's Yiddish proverbs ...
- 2001: Elizabeth Sussman Nassau, Raisins and Almonds, in Chicken Soup for the Jewish Soul (Jack Canfield, Mark Victor Hansen, Dov Peretz Elkins, eds.), p238
- When I showed my bubbe, she said I had found a memory of the snake, and that memories were precious.
- Any elderly woman.
- OED 2006