- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈɡɹænˌmʌðə/
Audio (RP) (file)
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈɡɹæn(d)ˌmʌðə(ɹ)/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: grand‧mo‧ther
grandmother (plural grandmothers)
- (mother of someone's parent): baba (loanword from Eastern Europe), gammy, gram, gramma, gran, grandma, grandmom, granny, eldmother/eldermother, mamaw, meemaw, memaw, mimi, nan (British slang), nanna, nanny, nana
Many languages use different terms for the mother of someone's father and the mother of someone's mother. When such a distinction is required in English, the phrases maternal grandmother (“mother of one's mother”) and paternal grandmother (“mother of one's father”) can be used. Specific translations can be added at those entries.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.