- cryptick (obsolete)
- Having hidden meaning.
- Mystified or of an obscure nature.
- Her [nature's] more cryptic ways of working.
- Involving use of code or cipher/cypher.
- (zoology) Well camouflaged; having good camouflage.
- Lonomia caterpillars are extremely cryptic.
mystified or of an obscure nature
involving use of code or cipher
cryptic (plural cryptics)
- (informal) A cryptic crossword.
1996, Mary McCarthy, Remember Me, page 85:
- He settled down to the cryptic in the Independent. He loved his crossword. It kept him mentally active, just as gossip did his wife.
- 2009, Bill Taylor, Building a crossword (in Toronto Star, 1 February 2009)
- This writer has been solving cryptics for 40 years and can usually crack Araucaria, though it might take a couple of days.