- IPA(key): /ˈkæv.ɪt.i/
Audio (Southern England) (file)
- Rhymes: -ævɪti
cavity (plural cavities)
- A hole or hollow depression in a solid object.
- (dentistry) A small or large hole in a tooth caused by caries; often also a soft area adjacent to the hole also affected by caries.
- Synonym: caries
- Jim got two cavities filled at the dentist's office yesterday.
- See also Thesaurus:hole
hole or hollow depression
hollow area within the body
hole and soft area in tooth caused by caries
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- “cavity”, in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press, 2019–present.
- “cavity”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.