- (physics) The state of being in a motion affected by no acceleration (force) other than that provided by gravity.
- (common usage) The state of falling with no interference from outside forces other than the air resistance (no open parachute, etc.)
- (by extension) The state of worsening out of control.
- As civil war continues in Iraq, the U.S. president's approval ratings are in freefall.
- 2020 March 25, Rail, front cover:
- Passenger numbers in freefall as UK battles COVID-19
being affected only by gravity
falling through atmosphere without additional drag devices
state of worsening out of control
- To drop in a state of freefall.
- A base jumper attempts to freefall for as long as possible before triggering the parachute.