give someone the shits
give someone the shits (third-person singular simple present gives someone the shits, present participle giving someone the shits, simple past gave someone the shits, past participle given someone the shits)
- (Australia, colloquial, vulgar) To annoy or frustrate someone to a great degree.
- Can you stop sending me text messages at two in the morning? You're giving me the shits!
- 1977, Helen Garner, Monkey Grip, 2011, ReadHowYouWant, page 222,
- ‘You give me the shits,’ I stammered, sick with anger. ‘You give me the shits.’
- 2008, Arunesh Choubey, The Migrant, India, ISBN 9788188811588, page 17,
- “You know the Aussies are shit and they give me the shits. My taxi, when they come, I say, fuck you. I never let them in. You Indians are good people. Are you here for business or for pleasure?″
2008, R. Smart, Sinners Have a Soul Too, page 488:
- Women who are too damn sensitive give me the shits. Every single damn thing that comes out of your mouth is wrong. You can't say a damn thing without getting into an argument.
2011, Bronnie Ware, The Top Five Regrets of the Dying: A Life Transformed by the Dearly Departing, page 194:
- When I questioned if she was OK, she said, “Yeah I'm fine now Miss. This chick has been giving me the shits for ages so I put her head inside a clothes dryer. It's fine now.”
- (vulgar) To creep someone out; to scare someone.
1996, Peter Rimmer, Cry of the Fish Eagle, page 16:
- This feeling of being the last man on earth is giving me the shits.
2008, Philip Packham, Thompson (with a 'p'), page 216:
- He saw the driver shut off the power, and stare upwards in horror, and that really gave him the shits […]
2011, Denise A. Agnew, Before the Dawn, page 47:
- Yet Amos knew Varney stirred strange sensations inside most people, something that would grab an ordinary man by the gut and gave him the shits.
- (to annoy someone intensely): piss off
- (frighten someone): creep someone out, give someone the heebie-jeebies
vulgar: to annoy someone intensely