From Proto-Italic *jougestād, feminine ablative of an adjective *jougestos, possibly from the noun *jougos (Latin iūgera pl), derived as Proto-Indo-European *(H)yewg-s, possibly from Proto-Indo-European *yewg- (“yoke”), compare iugum.
iuxtā or iūxtā (not comparable)
iuxtā or iūxtā [+accusative]
- The quantity of the /u/ in this word is hidden, or not inferable from scansion due to the presence of multiple consonants. From Proto-Italic, /ū/ is expected, but /ŭ/ is more likely implicated from this word's Romance descendants. In those languages, the the observed mutation in vowel quality is such as is more often expected from /u/ having short rather than long quantity. It may therefore be inferred that some shortening may have taken place at some time or in some places in Latin's later development.
- Catalan: ajustar, justar
- English: joust (“to joust”), juxtapose (“to appose”)
- Italian: giusta, giostrare
- French: jouter (“to joust”), ajouter (“to add”), (literary) jouxter (“to be close to”), (literary) jouxte (“close”)
- Occitan: jostar
- Portuguese: justar
- Spanish: justar (“to joust”), (nautical) ayustar (“to splice (rope))”)
- juxtā in Charlton T. Lewis and Charles Short (1879) A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press
- iuxta in Charlton T. Lewis (1891) An Elementary Latin Dictionary, New York: Harper & Brothers
- du Cange, Charles (1883), “iuxta”, in G. A. Louis Henschel, Pierre Carpentier, Léopold Favre, editors, Glossarium Mediæ et Infimæ Latinitatis (in Latin), Niort: L. Favre
- “juxtā” in Félix Gaffiot’s Dictionnaire Illustré Latin-Français, Hachette (1934)
- iuxta in Ramminger, Johann (accessed 16 July 2016) Neulateinische Wortliste: Ein Wörterbuch des Lateinischen von Petrarca bis 1700, pre-publication website, 2005-2016
- "iūxtā" in Karl Ernst Georges, Ausführliches lateinisch-deutsches Handwörterbuch
- Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar for Schools and Colleges Founded on Comparative Grammar, Ginn & Company, 1903, page 130.
- Dirk Panhuis, Roland Hoffmann (translator), Lateinische Grammatik, Walter de Gruyter, 2015, pages 84 and 86.
- "iūxtā" in PONS, Deutsch-Latein-Wörterbuch (German-Latin dictionary)