je ne sais quoi
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌʒə nə seɪ ˈkwɑː/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌʒə nə seɪ ˈkwɑ/
- (emulating French) IPA(key): /ˌʒə n(ə) sɛ ˈkwɑː/
- Rhymes: -ɑː
je ne sais quoi (uncountable)
- An indefinable quality that makes something distinctive or attractive.
- She has a certain je ne sais quoi about her.
- 1894, George du Maurier, “Part Second”, in Trilby: A Novel, New York, N.Y.: Harper & Brothers, OCLC 174215199, page 85:
- "Say, you others, I find that the Englishman has something of truly distinguished in the voice, something of sympathetic, of touching—something of je ne sais quoi!" Bouchardy: "Yes, yes—something of je ne sais quoi! That's the very phrase— [...]"
indefinable quality that makes something distinctive
Literally “I don't know what”.
- A certain something, je ne sais quoi (intangible quality that makes something distinctive)