keep one's counsel
- To keep one's own business private; to be careful, circumspect, or discreet in what one says concerning one's own deeds, situation, or thoughts.
- Synonyms: hold one's peace, keep one's cards close to one's chest, keep one's mouth shut, keep one's own counsel
- 1982 July 26, “Personal Power, Personal Hate”, in Time, New York, N.Y.: Time Warner Publishing, ISSN 0928-8430, OCLC 749127914, archived from the original on 8 April 2008:
- [Ruhollah] Khomeini's approach to decision making is to keep his counsel at first, allowing the advocates of different options to debate issues openly.
- To keep a secret for someone else; to be careful, circumspect, or discreet in what one says concerning someone else's deeds, situation, or thoughts.
- Synonym: keep one's mouth shut