miserere (plural misereres)
- A prayer for mercy.
- An expression of lamentation or complaint.
- A medieval dagger, used for the mercy stroke to a wounded foe; misericord.
- (architecture) A small projecting boss or bracket on the underside of the hinged seat of a church stall, intended to give some support to a standing worshipper when the seat is turned up; a misericord.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
- “miserere” in The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2000.
- “miserere” in Dictionary.com Unabridged: Dictionary.com, LLC, 1995–.