See also: modificâtion
modification (plural modifications)
- the act or result of modifying or the condition of being modified
- an alteration or adjustment to something
- Jim's modification to the radio's tuning resulted in clearer sound.
- a change to an organism as a result of its environment that is not transmissable to offspring
- Due to his sunbathing, Jim's body experienced modifications: he got a tan.
- (linguistics) a change to a word when it is borrowed by another language
- The Chinese word "kòu tóu" had a modification made to become the English "kowtow".
- (linguistics) the change undergone by a word when used in a construction (for instance am => 'm in I'm)
act or result of modifying or condition of being modified
alteration or adjustment
change to an organism
the change undergone by a word when used in a construction
- Noah Webster (1913), “modification”, in Noah Porter, editor, Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam Company
- “modification”, in The Century Dictionary, New York: The Century Co., 1911