- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈnɔɹðɚli/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈnɔːðəli/
Audio (AU) (file)
northerly (plural northerlies)
- A wind blowing from the north.
wind blowing from the north
- Facing the north; directed towards the north.
- a northerly voyage
- Located in a northern region.
- 2021 October 20, Paul Stephen, “Leisure and pleasure on the Far North Line”, in RAIL, number 942, page 47:
- But I'm here to follow the less well-trodden route up to the most northerly point of the British mainland, which has its own scenic claim to make.
- Coming from the north.
- a northerly wind
- 2021 December 15, Stefanie Foster, “Network News: Arwen causes cancellations and speed restrictions”, in RAIL, number 946, page 10:
- Over November 26-27, Storm Arwen brought northerly winds of up to 100 mph and snow in some parts of the UK.
from/to the north