See also: Oblation
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /əʊˈbleɪʃən/, /ɒˈbleɪʃən/
- (US) IPA(key): /oʊˈbleɪʃən/, /ɑːˈbleɪʃən/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
oblation (plural oblations)
- The offering of worship, thanks etc. to a deity.
- 1786, William Beckford, Vathek; an Arabian Tale:
- whatever she judged proper for the oblation of the approaching night.
- 2017, “Wallowa Lake Monster”, in The Greatest Gift, performed by Sufjan Stevens:
- As she waits for her children in the shade / Demogorgon or demigod the ghost parade / No oblation will bring her back to our place
- (by extension) A deed or gift offered charitably.
the offering to a deity
deed or gift offered
- Alternative form of