- IPA(key): /əˈɹɪd͡ʒɪnəli/, /əˈɹɪd͡ʒənəli/, /əˈɹɪd͡ʒnəli/
- Hyphenation: o‧ri‧gi‧nal‧ly, o‧ri‧ginal‧ly
Audio (US) (file)
originally (comparative more originally, superlative most originally)
- (not comparable) As it was in the beginning.
- Originally, this paper was white, but over the years it has yellowed with age.
- 2019 March 18, Steven Pifer, Five years after Crimea’s illegal annexation, the issue is no closer to resolution, The Center for International Security and Cooperation:
- The little green men were clearly professional soldiers by their bearing, carried Russian weapons, and wore Russian combat fatigues, but they had no identifying insignia. Vladimir Putin originally denied they were Russian soldiers; that April, he confirmed they were.
- In an original manner.
- They had to think originally to come up with those creative ideas.
- (in the beginning): at first, initially, at the start; see also Thesaurus:initially
- (in an original manner): innovatively, outside the box
as it was in the beginning