- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pəˈsɛntɪd͡ʒ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɚˈsɛntɪd͡ʒ/
- Hyphenation: per‧cent‧age
Audio (US) (file)
percentage (plural percentages)
- The amount, number or rate of something, regarded as part of a total of 100; a part of a whole.
- A high percentage of secondary school leavers take a gap year.
- A share of the sales, profits, gross margin or similar.
- She gets a percentage for every vacuum cleaner sold.
- (informal) Benefit or advantage.
- There was no percentage in staying at home.
- A percentage is often denoted by the character (%).
- e.g. 50% denotes 50 per cent.
- For sports statistics, percentages are mostly expressed in American and Canadian English as proportions of up to three decimal places and are read as if they were whole numbers.
- e.g. (0).500 denotes five hundred, not 50% or 50 per cent.
part of a whole
- procentage (archaic)
percentage n (plural percentages)
- percentage (amount or rate as part of 100)