phony as a three-dollar bill
Alternative forms edit
Audio (AU) (file)
- (simile, set phrase) Extremely phony; fake; dishonest; completely bogus.
- 2011 September 29, Glenn Kessler, “The Fact Checker: A bogus chart on Obama and the debt gets a new lease on life”, in Washington Post, retrieved 23 January 2018:
- But this chart, originally created by the office of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, is as phony as a three-dollar bill. Our friends at PolitiFact did a pretty thorough takedown of it in May, giving it their worst rating: “pants on fire.”
- 2012, Joan Elliott Pickart, The Marrying MacAllister, →ISBN:
- "You know, Mr. Sunshine, your laid-back, look-at-the-bright-side, the-glass-is-half-full malarkey is starting to come across as very condescending, especially since I know that your life-is-just-a-bowl-of-cherries spiel is as phony as a three-dollar bill."