- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈpɑsɪbli/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈpɒsɪbli/
Audio (US) (file)
- (modifying a clause or predicate) Perhaps; indicates that the proposition may be true (is not certainly false) regardless of any facts or circumstances known to, stated by or implied by the speaker.
- Possibly, they will make gains in the midterm elections.
- It was possibly the costliest mistake in the organization's history.
- This rare and possibly unique specimen must be conserved.
- (modifying a verb) In the realm of possibility; indicates that the action may successfully be performed (is not impossible) regardless of any facts or circumstances known to, stated by or implied by the speaker that might limit the performance.
- I'm much stronger than you, so you can't possibly win.
- I couldn't possibly be there on time.
- I couldn't possibly cheat on my wife.
- It seems unlikely, but, yes, they could possibly win even now.
- The police don't know him, and the information they have leads them to think he could possibly have murdered his wife.
adverb indicating that a proposition may be true or false
adverb indicating that an action may successfully be performed
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked