put someone in his place(Redirected from put someone in their place)
- put someone in her place (female)
- (transitive, idiomatic) To remind someone of his position.
- (idiomatic) To bring somebody down; to humble or rebuke.
- His quips at the party aimed to put the CEO in his place.
- 2014 Nov. 18, Daniel Taylor, "England and Wayne Rooney see off Scotland in their own back yard," The Guardian:
- The response, culminating in Rooney finishing off a slick exchange of incisive, pass-them-to-death football, quickly put Scotland back in their place.