See also: quinceanera
quinceañera (plural quinceañeras)
- (chiefly US) The fifteenth birthday and particularly the celebration and ceremony surrounding it for a young Latina woman.
- 1987, Texas Monthly:
- Any given night will find moms with their shoulders mounded with chrysanthemums and daughters decked out in quinceañera lace.
in Mexico, fifteenth birthday celebration for a young woman
- IPA(key): (Spain) /ˌkinθeaˈɲeɾa/, [ˌkĩn̟.θe.aˈɲe.ɾa]
- IPA(key): (Latin America) /ˌkinseaˈɲeɾa/, [ˌkĩn.se.aˈɲe.ɾa]
- Rhymes: -eɾa
- Hyphenation: quin‧ce‧a‧ñe‧ra
- female equivalent of : fifteen-year-old (girl)
- (Latin America, chiefly Mexico and US, only in the feminine) quinceañera (fifteenth birthday celebration for a young woman)