See also: célébration
From Old French celebration, from Latin celebratio.
celebration (countable and uncountable, plural celebrations)
- The formal performance of a solemn rite, such as Christian sacrament.
- We will attend the Christmas celebration in church.
- The observance of a holiday or feast day, as by solemnities.
- The act, process of showing appreciation, gratitude and/or remembrance, notably as a social event.
- She jumped in the air in celebration.
- A social gathering for entertainment and fun; a party.
- We're having a little celebration tomorrow for Martin's scholarship.
formal performance of a solemn rite
observance of a holiday or feast day, as by solemnities
act or process of showing gratitude, appreciation or remembrance