- present participle of
- They will be remaining behind. (progressive)
- My remaining at the beach house kept it from being vandalized. (gerund)
- The remaining paint shall be properly disposed of. (participle used as adjective)
remaining (plural remainings)
- (uncountable, now obsolete or in theology) An act or occurrence by which someone or something remains
- 1580, Thomas Cranmer, An Answer Unto A Crafty and Sophistical Cavillation Devised by Stephen Gardiner, 1844 Parker Society ed. edition, page 298:
- For where Gelasius saith, that "there remaineth the substance or nature of bread and wine," to declare thereby the remaining of two natures in Christ, you say, that "Gelasius' saying may be verified in the last, and not in the first," that is to say, that the nature of bread and wine remaineth.
- 1864 August 8, William H. Seward, “Mr Seward to Mr Pike, No. 171”, in Papers Relating to Foreign Affairs, Part 3, published 1865, page 322:
- It is important for us to know to what extent the remaining of that naval force is advantageous, and I hope therefore, that you will seek an opportunity informally to confer upon this question, […]
- 1975, Michael D. Ryan & Langdon Brown Gilkey, editors, The Contemporary Explosion of Theology, page 39:
- In this steadfast remaining with the Church that he so often criticizes, Küng shows himself to be a true son of Roman Catholicism.
- (countable, rare) Remnant.
- Also used as gerund.
remaining (not comparable)
- Which remains, especially after something else has been removed.
- May I have the only remaining cake?
- 2020 August 4, Jason Schreier, “Blizzard Employees Share Salaries With Each Other to Protest Wage Disparities”, in Time:
- Last year, the company eliminated hundreds of jobs and asked some of the remaining staff to take on the responsibilities of those who were let go.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.