séance (plural séances)
- A ceremony where people try to communicate with the spirits of dead people, usually led by a medium.
- 1936, Rollo Ahmed, The Black Art, London: Long, page 231:
- [B]ut only too often séances degenerate into pure sorcery or necromancy, attracting all kinds of undeveloped and earth-bound entities.
- (dated) The sitting of an assembly to discuss a matter.
a ceremony where people try to communicate with the spirits
- To hold a séance (communication with spirits).
séance f (plural séances)