- (UK) IPA(key): /ˈsæt.eɪ/, /ˈsɑː.teɪ/
- Rhymes: -æteɪ
- (US) IPA(key): /sæˈteɪ/, /sɑːˈteɪ/
Audio (AU) (file)
- Rhymes: -eɪ
- A dish made from small pieces of meat or fish grilled on a skewer and served with a spicy peanut sauce, originating from Indonesia and Malaysia.
- 1956, Anthony Burgess, Time for a Tiger (The Malayan Trilogy), published 1972, page 107:
- Crabbe bought sateh for all: tiny knobs and wedges of fire-hot meat on wooden skewers, to be dipped in a lukewarm sauce of fire and eaten with slivers of sweet potato and cucumber.
satay m (plural satays)
- satay (Indonesian and Malaysian meat dish)