- to loose, loosen, release, discharge
- to let go, discharge
- to discharge, fire; to shoot
* Indirect relative
† Archaic or dialect form
- C. Marstrander, E. G. Quin et al., editors (1913–76), “scaílid”, in Dictionary of the Irish Language: Based Mainly on Old and Middle Irish Materials, Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, →ISBN
- "scaoil" in Foclóir Gaeilge-Béarla, An Gúm, 1977, by Niall Ó Dónaill.
- Entries containing “scaoil” in English-Irish Dictionary, An Gúm, 1959, by Tomás de Bhaldraithe.
- Entries containing “scaoil” in New English-Irish Dictionary by Foras na Gaeilge.