- (UK) IPA(key): /ɔːˈtɒnəməs/
- (US) IPA(key): /ɔˈtɑnəməs/
- (US, cot–caught merger) IPA(key): /ɑˈtɑnəməs/
- Rhymes: -ɒnəməs
Audio (US) (file)
autonomous (comparative more autonomous, superlative most autonomous)
- Self-governing. Intelligent, sentient, self-aware, thinking, feeling, governing independently.
- Acting on one's own or independently; of a child, acting without being governed by parental or guardian rules.
- (Celtic linguistics, of a verb form) Used with no subject, indicating an unknown or unspecified agent; used in similar situations as the passive in English (the difference being that the theme in the English passive construction is the subject, while in the Celtic autonomous construction the theme is the object and there is no subject).
- (governing independently): sovereign, self-governing
- (acting on one's own behalf): self-standing, self-directed
- autonomous community
- autonomous oblast
- autonomous okrug
- autonomous prefecture
- autonomous sensory meridian response
- autonomous vehicle
self-governing — See also translations at independent
acting on one's own
a verb form grammar of Celtic language