silencer (plural silencers)
- Something that silences
- An attachment to a gun or an exhaust pipe that reduces the sound it emits
- The muffler of an internal combustion engine.
- 1962 April, P. W. B. Semmens, “The Netherlands Railways today”, in Modern Railways, page 241:
- Before the fitting of silencers to these locomotives was completed by the end of 1961, they were very noisy in operation, but the effect of the silencer has been remarkable.
- Any of various devices to silence the humming noise of telegraph wires
- (genetics) Something that prevents gene expression
Derived terms edit
something that silences another thing