- alcoholic, drinking heavily
- foolish, stupid, senseless
- 1611, The Holy Bible, […] (King James Version), imprinted at London: By Robert Barker, […], OCLC 964384981, Jeremiah 4:22:
- For my people is foolish, they have not known me; they are sottish children, and they have none understanding: they are wise to do evil, but to do good they have no knowledge.
- 1914, James Joyce, “The Dead”, in Dubliners:
- Gabriel strove to restrain himself from breaking out into brutal language about the sottish Malins and his pound.
- (alcoholic): boozy, drunk
- (drunk): See Thesaurus:drunk
- (foolish): See Thesaurus:foolish or Thesaurus:stupid