stick in the mud
See also: stick-in-the-mud
- (idiomatic, derogatory) A person unwilling to participate in activities; a curmudgeon or party pooper.
- Have a little fun sometimes and don't be such a stick-in-the-mud.
- 2005 November 9, Dan Shive, El Goonish Shive (webcomic), Comic for Wednesday, Nov 9, 2005:
- "I don't hold back like you do. Even Tedd's dad can tell you're a stick-in-the-mud. That's why he made you the supervisor of this party."
- (idiomatic, derogatory) More generally, one who is slow, old-fashioned, or unprogressive; an old fogey.