- (transitive) to write on the exterior of, the surface of, or above.
- He superscribed each character with its Latin-alphabet equivalent.
- (transitive) to write (something) on the exterior of an object, such as a document or an envelope.
- His wife superscribed her own notes on each of his letters before sending them in packets to the editor.
- (transitive) To address (an envelope etc.).
- 1992, Hilary Mantel, A Place of Greater Safety, Harper Perennial, published 2007, page 121:
- That Friday, which began like any other, when my fate was brought up from the kitchen, superscribed to me, and put into my ignorant hand.