synod (plural synods)
- An ecclesiastic council or meeting to consult on church matters.
- An administrative division of churches, either the entire denomination, as in the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, or a mid-level division (middle judicatory, district) as in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- An assembly or council having civil authority; a legislative body.
- It hath in solemn synods been decreed.
- Parent of gods and men, propitious Jove! And you, bright synod of the powers above.
- A third part of the Gods, in synod met
- Their deities to assert; who, while they feel
- Vigour divine within them, can allow
- Omnipotence to none.
- (astronomy) A conjunction of two or more of the heavenly bodies.
Usage differs between different churches – see uses in different Communions.
ecclesiastic council or meeting