tattler (plural tattlers)
- One who tattles (notifies authorities of illicit behavior) or is inclined to do so; a tattletale.
- Either of two similar bird species in the shorebird genus Heteroscelus (Tringa in some taxonomies).
- A device fitted to a vehicle to measure mileage etc.
- Synonym: tachograph
- 1960, Edward Hogland, The circle home
- A few truck drivers griped drowsily about the tattlers in their cabs which graphed the mileage per hour per day.
- 2002, National Association of EMS Physicians, Prehospital Systems and Medical Oversight, page 270:
- Electronic monitors (black box, tattlers) help to define the actions of the driver during normal and emergent operation of the EMS unit.
- The tattletale sense is generally applied only to children.
one who tattles
device that records mileage, speed etc.