From Norwegian Telemark, a county in Norway, from Old Norse Þelamǫrk, from the genitive plural case of þelir (“name of an old Germanic tribe”) + mǫrk (“borderland, march, mark, woodland”).
telemark (countable and uncountable, plural telemarks)
- (uncountable, skiing) Telemark skiing, a method of skiing using the telemark turn and a binding that only connects the boot to the ski at the toes.
- (countable, skiing) A telemark turn.
telemark (third-person singular simple present telemarks, present participle telemarking, simple past and past participle telemarked)
- (skiing, intransitive) To take part in telemark skiing.
- (skiing, intransitive) To perform a telemark turn.
- “telemark” (US) / “telemark” (UK) in Oxford Dictionaries, Oxford University Press.