- IPA(key): /tɹɪˈmɛndəs/
- (weak vowel merger) IPA(key): /tɹəˈmɛndəs/
- Rhymes: -ɛndəs
- Hyphenation: tre‧men‧dous
Audio (US) (file)
- awe-inspiring; terrific.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling:
- This she spoke with so commanding an air, standing with her back to the fire, with one hand behind her, and a pinch of snuff in the other, that I question whether Thalestris, at the head of her Amazons, ever made a more tremendous figure.
- Notable for its size, power, or excellence.
- Van Beethoven's ninth symphony is a tremendous piece of music.
- Extremely large (in amount, extent, degree, etc.) or great
- There was a tremendous outpouring of support.
- See also Thesaurus:gigantic
notable for size, power or excellence
extremely large (in amount, extent, degree etc.) or great; enormous; extraordinary