- enPR: tûrʹ-nĭng, IPA(key): /ˈtɜɹ.nɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -ɜː(r)nɪŋ
- Hyphenation: turn‧ing
- Rhymes: -ɜː(ɹ)nɪŋ
turning (plural turnings)
- (Britain) A turn or deviation from a straight course.
- Take the second turning on the left.
- (field hockey) At hockey, a foul committed by a player attempting to hit the ball who interposes their body between the ball and an opposing player trying to do the same.
- The shaping of wood or metal on a lathe.
- The act of turning.
- (plural only) Shavings produced by turning something on a lathe.
- The turnings get into your trouser turnups!
The shaping of wood or metal on a lathe
The shavings produced by turning something on a lathe
- present participle of
- The Earth is turning about its axis as we speak.
- He made wooden soldiers by turning them on a hand lathe.
Most common English words before 1923 in Project Gutenberg: wall · cry · step · #811: turning · village · quickly · lie