- In an unreasonable manner.
- He behaved unreasonably.
- c. 1607, William Shakespeare, Coriolanus, Act I, Scene 3,
- Fie, you confine yourself most unreasonably: come, you must go visit the good lady that lies in.
- 1711, Joseph Addison and Richard Steele, The Spectator, Volume 3, No. 213, Saturday, November 3, 1711,
- When I employ myself upon a paper of morality, I generally consider how I may recommend the particular virtue which I treat of, by the precepts or examples of the ancient heathens; by that means, if possible, to shame those who have greater advantages of knowing their duty, and therefore greater obligations to perform it, into a better course of life: besides that many among us are unreasonably disposed to give a fairer hearing to a pagan philosopher, than to a christian writer.
- 1847, Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre, Chapter 4,
- When thus gentle, Bessie seemed to me the best, prettiest, kindest being in the world; and I wished most intensely that she would always be so pleasant and amiable, and never push me about, or scold, or task me unreasonably, as she was too often wont to do.
- To an unreasonable degree.
- The team was given an unreasonably short amount of time to put together a presentation.
- 1737, Jonathan Swift, Letter to Alderman Barber dated 30 March, 1737, in The Works of Dr Jonathan Swift, Edinburgh: J. Balfour, 1766, Volume 11, p. 126,
- Thus bishops, deans, and chapters, as well as other corporations, seldom or never let their lands even so high as half the value; and when they raise those rents which are unreasonably low, it is by degrees.
- 1885, Woodrow Wilson, Congressional Government: A Study in American Politics, Boston and New York: Houghton Mifflin, Chapter 4, p. 193,
- The Senate of the United States has been both extravagantly praised and unreasonably disparaged, according to the predisposition and temper of its various critics.
- 1892, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, “The Yellow Wallpaper,”
- I get unreasonably angry with John sometimes. I’m sure I never used to be so sensitive. I think it is due to this nervous condition.