The standard of identity is from the Code of Federal Regulations, title 27, section 4.21(g).
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /vəˈmuːθ/, /ˈvɜːməθ/
- (General American) IPA(key): /vɚˈmuθ/
- Rhymes: -uːθ
- A dry, or sweet apéritif wine flavored with aromatic herbs, and often used in mixed drinks.
- 1956, Delano Ames, chapter 14, in Crime out of Mind:
- He gazed around until on the lid of a spinet he spotted a promising collection of bottles, gin, whiskey, vermouth and sherry, mixed with violin bows, a flute, a toppling pile of books, six volumes of Grove's Dictionary mingled with paperback thrillers, a guitar without any strings, a pair of binoculars, a meerschaum pipe and a jar half-full of wasps and apricot jam.
- (US standard of identity) An aperitif wine that matches the general description of vermouth.
wine infused with herbs