- Of animals reared for meat: obese; undesirably fat.
- Synonym of
- 1906, The Illinois Agriculturist (volume 11, page 239)
- Then, too, the market demand is not so much for the extreme early maturing, excessive fat type, but it is for a trimmer, “less wasty” hog.
- 1958, John M. Kays, Basic animal husbandry (page 269)
- A trim-middled hog will have a higher dressing percentage than a wasty, gutty, paunchy, heavy-middled hog.
- 1999, J. S. Pruthi, Quick Freezing Preservation of Foods: Foods of animal origin
- Young animals are angular and slightly thin-fleshed; mature animals are slightly thick-fleshed, but irregular in contour. Fat covering varies from thin in young animals to moderately thick in mature animals and may be patchy or wasty.