couple; pair; to be opposite; to oppose; to face; for; to; correct (answer); to answer; to reply; to direct (towards sth); right
Expression composed with 對 (“to face”) and 不起 (“unable”), thus literally meaning "Cannot face you". 對不起 is contracted from the very formal expression 抱歉, 我對不起你 (“sorry, I am unable to face you [because of shame]”).
- Cantonese (Jyutping): deoi3 bat1 hei2
- Hakka (Pha̍k-fa-sṳ): tui-put-hí
- Min Nan (POJ): tùi-put-khí
- Pha̍k-fa-sṳ: tui-put-hí
- Min Nan
- sorry; excuse me
- 对不起！真的对不起！对于我来说，我的态度非常明确，我绝不袒护我的孩子！我这件事，换位思考、将心比心，我也非常理解受害者的心情，一样……一样……（失声痛哭） I am sorry. I am really sorry. Personally my attitude (towards this incident) is very clear: I will never give unprincipled protection to my child. On this matter, (by placing myself in the situation of the victim's family) I empathise with the victim's family fully. (It's) all the same.. all the same.. (burst into tears)
- 對唔住／对唔住 (deoi3 m4 zyu6) (Cantonese)
- 歹勢／歹势 (phái-sè) (Min Nan)
- 對不住／对不住 (tùi-pu̍t-chū) (Min Nan)
- 對勿起／对勿起 (te veq qi (T2)) ('Wu)
- to cause someone embarrassment; to screw someone over; to do something to a person that would demand an apology later on, let down
- 对于今天的表现，周苏红直言，现在的心情和06年一样难受，比赛中中国队遇到困难办法不多，输球对不起观众。 Regarding today's performance, Zhou Suhong confessed that her feeling now was as bad as (the same time in) 2006. The Chinese team did not have much strategy to deal with problems in the game, and losing the game makes the team feel embarrassed to face the audience.