- A suffix added to certain preverbs and subordinating conjunctions when these occur with past tense verbs, and in the past/conditional copular form of these preverbs and conjunctions.
- Suffix for the indefinite plural form of some of the nouns of the third declension, chiefly if they end in a stressed vowel except -e or -i, or if it ends in an unstressed -e.
- Suffix for the present tense, active voice, indicative mood [all persons] for a small number of Swedish verbs which ends in a vowel except -a in the infinitive; formally also for a large part of those verbs which do end in -a in infinitive.
- Hon går = She walks.
- Vi dansar = We dance.
The modern treatment is to consider also the verbs which in present tense ends in -ar to use the suffix -r, even though they frequently are denoted -ar-verbs, as if the suffix would be -ar. However, the -a- is rather interpreted as being part of the stem of the verb.
- plural suffix
- present tense suffix
- Personal suffixes are added after "-r".
- If the verb ends in a consonant, then this suffix becomes "-ar", "-er", "-ır", "-ir", "-ur" or "-ür"