See also: Appendix:Variations of "va"
-va (front vowel harmony variant -vä)
- Used to form the active present participle of a verb, which is normally used like an adjective. The English equivalent is normally -ing, but sometimes also -ish.
- A suffix forming an adjective from a noun.
Declension of -va (type koira)
- Added to a verb to form an adverbial participle. Its nearest English equivalent is the -ing form functioning as a participle (rather than a noun).
- úszik (“to swim”) → Úszva jött ide. - He came here swimming.
Member of the -va/-ve suffix cluster.
- -va is added to back vowel verbs
- -ve is added to front vowel verbs
- nominative feminine singular of -vus
- nominative neuter plural of -vus
- accusative neuter plural of -vus
- vocative feminine singular of -vus
- vocative neuter plural of -vus
- ablative feminine singular of -vus
Read in another language
This page is available in 3 languages