From wise (“way, manner”).
- in the direction or orientation of
- The gaoler slowly turned the key clockwise.
- in the manner of
- in the matter of; with regard to
- This morning is promising weather-wise.
- The suffix -wise is particularly productive in Indian English. See for example classwise, datewise, subjectwise.
- -way, -ways
From wīse (“manner, way, condition, direction”).
- (noun suffix) state of, manner of, condition; direction
- (noun suffix) the custom or fashion of
- (adverbial suffix) in the manner or fashion of; in the direction of
- hysewīse "like a young man", from hyse "son, youth"
Read in another language
This page is available in 2 languages