- (uncountable) The act of adding anything.
- The addition of five more items to the agenda will make the meeting unbearably long.
- Anything that is added.
- (uncountable) The arithmetic operation of adding.
- addition, summation: (augend) + (addend) = (summand) + (summand) = (sum, total)
- subtraction: (minuend) − (subtrahend) = (difference)
- multiplication: (multiplier) × (multiplicand) = (factor) × (factor) = (product)
- division: (dividend) ÷ (divisor) = (quotient), remainder left over if divisor does not divide dividend
act of adding
arithmetic: process of adding
- “addition” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary (2001).
addition f (plural additions)
Read in another language
This page is available in 50 languages