keel (plural keels)
- (nautical) A large beam along the underside of a ship’s hull from bow to stern.
- (nautical) Sometimes, a rigid, flat piece of material anchored to the lowest part of the hull of a ship to give it greater control and stability.
- (nautical) A type of flat-bottomed boat.
- A material similar to chalk or crayon used to mark pavement.
- (zoology) The periphery of a whorl extended to form a more or less flattened plate; a prominent spiral ridge.
- (botany) The two lowest petals of the corolla of a papilionaceous flower, united and enclosing the stamens and pistil; a carina.
- A brewer's cooling vat.
beam along the underside of a ship’s hull
rigid flat piece of material giving a ship greater control and stability
chalk or crayon to mark pavement
- (intransitive, followed by "over") to collapse, to fall
- He keeled over after having a stroke.
- To traverse with a keel; to navigate.
- To turn up the keel; to show the bottom.
keel n (uncountable)
This noun needs an inflection-table template.