- truly vertical, as indicated by a plumb line
- (cricket) Describing an LBW where the batsman is hit on the pads directly in front of his wicket and should be given out.
- (truly vertical): perpendicular
plumb (not comparable)
- In a vertical direction; perpendicularly.
- Plumb down he falls.
- (informal) Squarely, directly; completely.
- It hit him plumb in the middle of his face.
- Years ago the well plumb dried out, not a drop of water in there since.
in a vertical direction
plumb (plural plumbs)
- A little mass of lead, or the like, attached to a line, and used by builders, etc., to indicate a vertical direction.
- (nautical) A weight on the end of a long line, used by sailors to determine the depth of water.
- To determine the depth, generally of a liquid; to sound.
- To attach to a water supply and drain.
- To think about or explore in depth, to get to the bottom of, especially to plumb the depths of.
- To use a plumb bob as a measuring or aligning tool.
- To accurately align vertically or horizontally.
- (dated) To seal something with lead.
- (intransitive) To work as a plumber.
- (rare) To fall or sink like a plummet.
- (US, colloquial, figuratively, obsolete) To trace a road or track; to follow it to its end.
- (nautical) To position vertically above or below.
to explore in depth
to accurately align
nautical: to position vertically above or below
plumb n (definite form plumbul)
declension of plumb
|gender m||indefinite articulation||definite articulation||indefinite articulation||definite articulation|
|nominative/accusative||un plumb||plumbul||niște plumbi||plumbii|
|genitive/dative||unui plumb||plumbului||unor plumbi||plumbilor|
plumb n (plural plumburi)
Read in another language
This page is available in 24 languages