usage (plural usages)
- The manner or the amount of using; use
- Habit or accepted practice
- (lexicography) The ways and contexts in which spoken and written words are used, determined by a lexicographer's intuition or from corpus analysis.
- Correct or proper use of language, proclaimed by some authority.
- Geographic, social, or temporal restrictions on the use of words.
- usage dictionary
- usage guide
- usage label
- usage lexicography
- usage note
- usage panel
the manner or the amount of using; use
habit or accepted practice
the way words are spoken or written in a community
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- “usage” in R.R.K. Hartmann and Gregory James, Dictionary of Lexicography, Routledge, 1998.
- Sydney I. Landau (2001), Dictionaries: The Art and Craft of Lexicography, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press, p 217.
usage m (plural usages)
- usage, use
- (lexicography) The ways and contexts in which spoken and written words are actually used, determined by a lexicographer's intuition or from corpus analysis (as opposed to correct or proper use of language, proclaimed by some authority).