under; next; lower; below; underneath; down(wards); to go down; latter
|simp. and trad.
Literally: into the sea. The analogy used here is that going out to the sea is usually risky and unpredictable.
- Cantonese (Jyutping): haa6 hoi2
- Min Nan (POJ): hǎ-hái / hā-hái / hēe-hái
- Min Nan
- (literally) to sail out to the sea; to go to sea; to go fishing, swimming, surfing (or other activities) in the sea
- (figuratively, chiefly Mainland China) to resign from one's profession and venture into doing business
- (figuratively, of an amateur performer) to turn professional
- (figuratively, of a woman) to be driven to prostitution
- (figuratively, slang) to go into pornography acting